In the photo above, by Elisa Padilla, a series of many cables are knitted on the blue round loom and made into a headband. You can see more of the Elisa's cables as she knits them at the bottom of this page.
These instructions are for a basic left cross cable. Following them will create a sample swatch that can be used to learn the technique. Any yarn or loom can be used to practice. Skills needed are the ability to knit stitch, purl stitch and crochet cast on.
- Using any round loom chain cast on 8 pegs going clockwise.
- Rows 1-3: Purl 2, Knit 4, Purl 2
- Row 4: Purl 2, Use the instructions for "Left Cross Cable" purl 2.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 until swatch is the desired length.
Left Cross Cable
- Bring the working yarn to the inside of the loom and across the next 2 pegs.
- Then back to the outside and loosely knit the next 2 pegs.
- Remove the loops from the 2 pegs that you just knitted and place them onto a cable needle. Let it hang on the inside of the loom.
- Bring the working yarn to the inside of the loom, across all 4 pegs and back to the other side.
- Then to the outside before the first skipped peg.
- Knit the 2 skipped pegs, then use the tool to move them to the empty pegs. (Keep them in the same order and tighten them to prevent elongated stitches.)
- Place the stitches from the cable needle on the first 2 pegs you just moved over, making sure the stay in the same order.
Visit Elisa's Store at https://www.etsy.com/shop/mykillercreations