Friday, May 9, 2014

Elmo Earflap Hat - Loom Knit

Elmo Earflap Hat
Elmo Earflap Hat


I've been working on some kid's earflap hats. I've been using a method very similar to the one in the video. She does an amazing job of explaining the process and marking the pegs for the earflaps.

I used the red round loom for an infant/toddler to make an Elmo hat. I used 2 strands of Red Heart red yarn and 1 strand of fun fur. I made the earflaps using 5 pegs on each side of the loom.

One thing I do slightly differently than the video, is after I knit the first earflap, I wrap across to the next one. After I've knitted it, I wrap back to the first earflap, so I end with one loop on the entire loom, rather than only where the earflaps are located. This prevents me from ever having to cut the yarn.

Anyway, here are photos of my Elmo hat in progress. I still need to add his face and the braids to the side of the earflaps. When I'm done with him, I have hopes of starting Cookie Monster. We love Sesame Street.

Make Earflap Hat
Earflap

Knifty Knitter Earflap Hat
Second Earflap

Knifty Knitter Elmo
Elmo Hat Off the Loom

Loom Knit Elmo Hat
Knifty Knitter Elmo hat
I used strands of yarn cut to about 12 inches. I thread 3 strands through each of the 3 "holes" on the earflap. (The holes are really just gaps in the stitches.) After you feed the strands through, they are folded in half, so they hang down 6 inches. I took each of the 3 yarn sections and braided them. Around the bottom of the braid, I wrapped and tied a piece of yarn to secure the braid.

For the eyes, I used 2 strands of worsted weight white yarn and knitted 6 rows on the large end of the spool loom. I stuffed each eye with 3 cotton balls. I pulled both ends of the eye closed by sewing through each loop in the row and pulling the yarn tight. Next, I sewed on black felt for the mouth and center of each eye.

For the nose, I e wrapped and knitted 7 rows from the large end of the spool loom again. I used 2 strands of worsted weight orange yarn. I did it much the same as the eyes, accept I only stuffed it with one cotton ball to give it a more elongated appearance.

I used red yarn to stitch the eyes and nose to the hat, working from the inside so the stitching doesn't show. I used black thread to stitch the felt mouth and eye centers on.

My granddaughter is not quite 2 years old, she's 22 months as I write this. The hat done on the red loom fit her, but it was a little snug. The next earflap hat that I make for her (Cookie Monster) will be knitted on the green loom, so she will have room to grow into it.

Elmo Hat Loom Knit



Loom Knit Elmo Earflap Hat

2 comments:

Patterns You Might Like: