Worsted weight yarn in white
Worsted weight yarn in color of choice
2 black buttons
- Knit a basic roll brim hat following these instructions: Roll Brim Hat
- Rather than letting the brim roll, fold the brim up around 1 1/2 inches and use a yarn needle and thread to stitch the brim into place. Stitch from the inside of the hat, ensuring that the stitches tacking the brim into place are discreet.
- Use the flower loom for each eye. Hold two white yarns together as one, begin with the draw string cast on.
- Knit them using the two over two stitch.
- After 12 rows, change colors to the same color yarn as used for the hat. Using the same 2 over 2 stitch, knit 8 more rows.
- Cut the working yarn to approximately 1 10 inches.
- Sew through each loop on the flower loom to cast off.
- Stuff the eye with Poly-fil.
- Pull the working yarn tight to close the top of the eye.
- Finish the eye by adding a black button.
- You will be making 3 triangle shaped spikes to line up down the back of the hat. You can use the same color as the hat itself, or a contrasting color of your choice.
- Begin by wrapping only one. You will still be holding 2 yarns as one.
- Increase stitch by wrapping an extra peg on each side of the peg wrapped in the previous row.
- You will now have 1 peg with 2 loops on it and 2 pegs with only one loop. Knit on the peg that has 2 loops in the one over one fashion.
- Wrap the next row using an increase (wrap and extra peg on each side of the previous row.) Knit all the pegs that have 2 loops.
- Repeat step 5 until you have knit 11 rows.
- Crochet cast off.
- This is your first triangle. You will make 6 of them.
- Sew 2 of the triangles together along 2 edges by sewing through each set of loops around the perimeter. Leave one side of the triangle open. Stuff with Poly-fil.
- After stuffing, sew the open edge of the triangle to the hat using a yarn needle and thread. This is your first spike. Continue until you have 3 spikes down the back of the hat in a straight line.